Terramation, otherwise known as natural organic reduction, is a relatively new process for final disposition. The process gently transforms human remains into life-giving soil. A body is laid in with a mixture of alfalfa, straw, and sawdust, and just like any other compost is given plenty of air flow to allow the organic matter to naturally break down over the course of 30 - 90 days. At the end of the process, the next-of-kin is presented with nutrient rich bags of soil. You may choose any amount of soil you would like. Should you choose not to receive the entire amount of composted remains, you can donate the soil to be scattered on a piece of land in need of revitalization. This land is maintained by our partners at Return Home in Auburn, WA.
$3960 PMA Pricing $4950 Standard Pricing
Terramated remains are placed in burlap sacks in weight increments of the next-of-kin’s choosing. No viewing or additional services included.
Terramation with Laying In Ceremony
$4633 PMA Pricing $5450 Standard Pricing
Same as a direct terramation with the addition of 2 hours usage of the Return Home facility for a gathering and in-person goodbye. This viewing can accommodate up to 50-60 people with the next-of-kin being able to include personal, organic materials in the container to be gently transformed into compost along with the decedent.
All packaged plans listed include:
- Basic services of funeral director & staff;
- Receiving and transporting the deceased at any hour of the day or night within the 30-mile service area;
- Sheltering and refrigeration of remains for up to 14 days; and,
- Obituary posted on The Co-op Funeral Home website for 6 months.
All packaged plans listed do not include:
- Washington State sales tax;
- $70 King County Medical Examiner tax (for King County deaths only);
- $10 Snohomish County filing fee (for Snohomish County deaths only);
- Transportation outside the 30-mile service area;
- Ferry or bridge tolls;
- Newspaper obituaries;
- Honoraria for clergy;
- Celebrant or musicians; or,
- Cost of certified copies of the death certificate or other cash advance items.
General Price List Download Effective July 1, 2023