What is PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ Funeral Co-op?
- PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ Funeral Cooperative is a licensed full-service funeral home located on Capitol Hill in Seattle.
- It is owned by the 80,000 living members of PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ Association.
- Any profits that the business makes are reinvested back into the funeral home to better serve our members and the general public.
Do you have to be a member to use the Funeral Cooperative?
- No, PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™Funeral Cooperative is open to the general public, however non-members pay a higher price for our services.
- Whether a member or non-member, the Funeral Cooperative offers excellent value and prices that are well below other funeral homes in Seattle.
How is the Funeral Cooperative different from other funeral homes?
- As a member-owned funeral home, PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ Funeral Cooperative has a totally different feel than most mortuaries.
- Families know they will be treated with respect and caring.
- There is no pressure to upgrade your choices and there are no surprises about the bottom-line cost.
- We do not have a huge “brick and mortar” edifice of a traditional funeral home, nor do we have money tied up in an expensive hearse and other equipment. As a result, we pass the savings on to you.
- We have a very comfortable arrangements office where you meet with a funeral director to plan a cremation or burial. We don’t have the funeral home smell nor the creepy music of your grandmother’s day.
- Our staff is focused on serving you in your time of loss and in providing arrangements that are within your budget.
- Our goal is to provide a dignified farewell to your loved one with the best value anywhere.
Can the Funeral Co-op provide open-casket burial with viewing?
- The Funeral Cooperative can provide any type of burial or cremation service.
- If you wish to have a viewing or chapel service, we have several churches and other venues we contract with for such occasions.
- If you have a faith community, we can arrange for viewing and services in your house of worship.
- A hearse and limousine can also be arranged if you desire.
- We offer a rental casket for those who wish to have a viewing or service with the body present, followed by cremation.
- We also offer a full line of caskets at a better value than Costco or WalMart.
What is green burial? How does the co-op provide it?
- Green burial is a return to the natural burial practices of our ancestors.
- An unembalmed body is enclosed in a cloth shroud, simple wooden box or woven casket and placed directly into the soil with no concrete vault or liner.
- The Funeral Cooperative is proud to be the first funeral home in Seattle to be certified by the Green Burial Council to provide such arrangements.
- There are currently two natural burial grounds in Washington state that are certified by the Green Burial Council
- White Eagle Memorial Preserve, near Goldendale
- The Meadow Natural Burial Ground in Ferndale.
- In addition, Woodlawn Cemetery in Snohomish has a hybrid green burial section that is also certified by the Green Burial Council.
What is carbon-neutral cremation?
- For each cremation we handle, the Funeral Cooperative invests in natural, clean solar and wind power through the Bonneville Environmental Foundation.
- For each cremation or burial the Funeral Cooperative handles, we plant a tree through American Forests.
What about traditional cemeteries?
- The Funeral Cooperative can arrange for burial at any cemetery.
- PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ currently has a couple contracted cemeteries where our members receive a 15% discount.
- There are several municipal and independently-owned cemeteries in the Puget Sound area which can offer affordable burial options.
- PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ also contracts with a direct-import monument company, Pacific Coast Memorials, who offers monuments at significantly reduced prices.
What if I want to be buried out of state or out of the country?
- PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™Funeral Cooperative routinely arranges for the preparation and shipment of bodies all over the globe.
- We do this at a price that is far less than other funeral homes in Seattle.
How do I become a member of the Funeral Cooperative?
- Complete our membership application for PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ Association, along with payment of $25 for lifetime membership. This entitles you to discounted prices at the Funeral Cooperative.
Why a Cooperative?
- The funeral home is wholly owned by the members of PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™ Association for the members’ mutual benefit.
- A co-op is a democratically run organization that allows the members to pool resources and share the benefits.
- Owning our own funeral home enables us to better control prices and quality of service as well as assure the long-term financial viability of PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL™.
- Seattle is home to many cooperatives and credit unions, including Group Health, PCC Natural Food Markets, REI, Madison Market, Boeing Employees Credit Union to name a few.
- Most Seattle-area residents are already a member of at least one co-op or credit union.